[DeTomaso] Pandora question

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Thu Nov 25 21:12:48 EST 2010

Chris,

Bring the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke.  Check the timing pointer.  It should point to TDC (0*).  If it doesn't point to TDC,
then most likely the damper has slipped.  As Jack mentioned, make a mark on the damper aligned with the timing pointer.  Put another
mark on the face of the hub, just below the rubber that bonds the outer ring to the hub.  This will give you a TDC reference for future
timing checks (in case the balancer ring continues to slip, which it will).  Also mark the flywheel with a TDC mark.  Then measure the distance on
the balancer ring from 0* to 16* (or whatever you normally use for your initial advance) and transfer it to your new TDC mark.

Since your car starts and runs, the distributor is not 180* out.   In that case, you don't need to have the #1 cyl on the compression stroke.
It only needs to be on TDC (of either stroke) to check the timing marks.  Two revs of the crank for one rev of the cam and dist.

A word of caution here.  If the balancer ring has slipped, it will continue to slip, and will eventually slide off the hub, potentially causing
damage.  I have a groove in my timing cover from when mine slipped aft.

John