[DeTomaso] Pandora question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 15:27:37 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/25/10 10:07:10 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I think there may be more than one position for the timing pointer on a
> SBF.  If that is correct, someone may have miss matched parts and then added
> a mark for the correct timing?

Correct, Kenn- there are at least two completely diferent timing covers for
the '70-'73 351-Cleveland plus another for the 351M/400-M's All use
different timing pointers- that are at best only loosely indexed to the block
anyway. It's quite possible to mix 'n match the pointers. Anyone actually wishing
to know their true ignition timing should first find actual top dead center
and go from there.

Harmonic balencers also constantly slip and change the markings, so unless
you've gone thru the exercise to find true TDC and made an index mark, just
set the distribnutor to where the engine runs decently but doesn't
death-rattle under hard acceleration, and go on to other problems. FWIW- J DeRyke