[DeTomaso] starter

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 11:39:26 EST 2010

When I got my DB starter I followed the Ford Manual instructions and even
with the additional torque of the PMGR starter I still had the hot start
problem . I checked with several local sources and mechanics and they all
disagreed with DB's instructions to move the starter lead that runs from the
solenoid on the firewall to the starter  from the switched side of the
solenoid to the "Hot" side of the solenoid. Problem solved! So it was
experimenting in a manner of speaking. I am the person that passed this info
on to S.O. Bill and he checked it out furthur and confirmed that it would
not cause a problem. I also checked on JDerykes statement about the origin
of gear reduction starters and found his info to be accurate. I called DB
Electrical to ask them if their starters are in fact made in China and they
are. The gentleman from DB also said he was willing to bet that just about
any PMGR starter you can find is going to originate in China. So before
anyone goes out and spends $100 to $300 for a PMGR starter assuming it is
made in the USA check and be sure!. I have recently purchased partts that
were supposed to be "Made in Italy" Detomaso parts  sold by one of our
better known vendors and I can tell you if that part came from Italy it was
by way of Marco Polo carrying it from China to Italy and then to the US! As
much as I would like to support US manufacturers I am not going to get
suckerd into paying more to a company that claims their product is "Made in
the USA"  when everything else points in another direction. I also have to
take exception to Jeff's remarks about the quality of these starters and
their being" disposable". If his statement "“No Chinese crap on #4134 “is
accurate then there is know way he can make an assesment about the quality
of DB electricals products. I would also be willing to venture a guess that
#4134 has some Chinese parts on it some where Jeff just dosen't know it.
Don't assume that just because something is more expensive that it is not
made in China. Not all vendors pass the savings they get by purchasing
products that are made in China on to the consumer.
Boyd