[DeTomaso]   starter

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 02:29:13 EST 2010

FWIW, most of the first generation gear-drive starters were adaptions of a
Hitachi starter made in Japan for the Nissen 300ZX. Ed Hamburger, McLeod,
Tilton and many, many others simply added their cast nose and bendix assembly
for various V-8s. Now there are several newer designs including one from
Ford. No idea who actually builds it for them, though.

Bottom line: gear drive starters work. Mine is a 1991-vintage and still
flawlessly starts a smoking-hot modified 351-C within a few turns every time. I
will be transferring it to my Fontana block when that's ready.
Also FWIW, some of the gear drive starters used 'automatic tranny'
architecture for Panteras w/ZF. Mine came with a 5/8" spacer & instructions for use
with either. The extra spacer meant I had to replace the stock stud which
was too short for the spacer plus starter. As someone said, for best results,
read the directions and don't get creative. Good luck- J Deryke