[DeTomaso] Starter

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Nov 22 17:36:15 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/22/10 11 54 41, lance730 at msn.com writes:

> Suggested Starter Motors???
> Newbie to the brotherhood will need advice and will have dumb questions.
> Can you any Ford 351 starter motor work in 1988 gt5s? (stock exhaust)
> would the car have a 157 tooth flywheel?

No, your car will have an old-style 164-tooth flywheel.   There are lots of
starter options, but many, MANY Pantera owners have been super-happy with
the offering from DB Electrical.

This is the one most of us use:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1322-new-ford-mini-pmgr-starter-302-351-manual
-transmissions-3223-sfd0012.aspx

I see they have a new model listed, with 'higher torque':

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1321-new-ford-mini-pmgr-racing-starter-302-351
-higher-torque-3205-sfd0001.aspx

The prices have come down a lot too.   The starters come with a wiring kit
that lets you keep your stock solenoid and use it to trigger the one mounted
on the starter.

As the starter studs on the ZF are metric, you may have to open up the
holes on the new starter ever so slightly to get them to clear.   But the
starters themselves are fantastic!

Call them and see what they say--they have a toll-free number, a wonderful
down-home Tennessee accent, and the best customer service around!