[DeTomaso] 1972 pantera slow starting

doug351c doug351c at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 04:37:49 EST 2010

Bob,

The best way to troubleshoot this is with 2 people.  One to crank the engine
while its hot and the other to man a voltmeter to look for voltage drops
during cranking.  Start by connecting the voltmeter across the negative
battery post top (not the clamp) and one of the starter's mounting bolts.
This may require some additional wire to make the proper connections for the
voltmeter.  If you measure more than 1 volt drop during cranking, you need
to improve the ground.  Do the same test between the positive battery post
and the starter's positive stud.  These tests will tell you where the weak
link is.  If you find a large voltage drop, the best way to cure it is with
a product called kopr-shield and/or a new starter solenoid if you find a
large drop in the positive leg.  If you don't find over a 1 volt drop in
either of these tests, then you should buy one of the inexpensive gear
reduction starters on eBay (contact me for the part number if needed).

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505