[DeTomaso] FW: Engine block heater hose nipple removal

doug351c doug351c at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 20:16:37 EST 2010

I followed Jack's advice but I added an additional step.  First I found the
largest diameter 1/4" drive deep dish socket I had that would fit into the
engine block's heater hose nipple which was size 3/8 hex with a 0.543" OD.
I added a few turns of electrical tape wrapping to one end of the socket (so
it wouldn't drop all the way into the nipple).  After inserting the socket
into the nipple (to prevent the tube from getting crushed) I applied a pair
of vise-grips to the tube and the tube twisted right out!  I didn't need a
pry bar although I likely would have if the tube had been in there for a few
years.  The tube even came out in good enough condition to be reused.

Doug Braun
blue 73 L #5505