[DeTomaso] in-car fuel tank cleaning?????

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 22:35:56 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/12/10 2:43:46 PM, fresnofinches at aol.com writes:

> Lots of water flushing?  Soak with acetone?
>
> All hints, techniques and ideas appreciated.

When my fuel tank was filled with gick, I built a fuel tank vacuum cleaning
device that worked extremely well.

Ingredients:

Appropriate length of tubing (long enough to reach from above the top of
the tank all the way to the bottom)

Electric fuel pump

Clear inline filter

Fuel hose

12V power source

Gasoline (you may want to use a stronger solvent instead)

I removed both the fuel sender, and the fuel filler, leaving two big holes
in the top of the tank.   In practice, the long tube was used as a wand,
like a pool sweep, to suck debris from the bottom of the tank.   A length of
fuel hose went from the top of the wand, to a filter, then another length went
to the inlet of a fuel pump, then another length of hose from the outlet of
the fuel pump, back into the fuel tank.   Energizing the fuel pump created
suction as the fuel was pumped through the system and back into the tank,
and that suction was strong enough for me to suck up all the particulate
matter left over from the bedspread (!) that some bonehead had dropped inside the
tank more than 20 years earlier.