[DeTomaso] in-car fuel tank cleaning?????

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 18:35:14 EST 2010

I had a problem with debris in my tank, ( it sounds like yours is much
worse) A good fuel filter won't do much good because the fuel pickup has a
screen filter that is at the bottom of the tank where the fuel pick up
rests. I would suggest cleaning the tank with what ever solvents you can
find and then use a commercial product to re line the tank with something
like a Fiberglas resin type product. I think Michael's suggestion to try
something from Eastwood is a good idea.       Once you have the tank relined
with a new material  I would use a  good filter ( I used a Fram racing
filter that has a replaceable element) and I also used a glass filter so I
could see the gas flow and look for any residue in the gas. It has been
almost two years and I have not had any recurrence of the debris problem and
no fuel line clogging.
Boyd