[DeTomaso] Indicator lights on race cars?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 16:49:38 EST 2010

I thought so. Mike is feeling shy for some reason and our e-mails crossed
streams. Here's what he wrote:
I was told at Le Mans many moons ago that those lights were used to identify
the leaders in class at night. I did a quick google and couldn't find
anything to corrobarate that or give more details, but it was something like
the first place in each class had a red light, second a blue light, and
third green. I made up the colors, but the system was to allow to you tell
the order within classes at night.

>>>That was probably me that told you that-when we were attending Le Mans
together for the first time way back in 2001.

You're confusing the race position lights, with the identification lights,
which is what Chuck was asking about.

The lights you are talking about weren't colored; they were numbered.  That
is, each car (in the 2000s) was required to have three lights on each side.
The car in first place would have one light illuminated; second place would
have two lights and third place three lights.  These lights were apparently
controlled not by the driver or the team, but by the timing and scoring
people.

Come to think of it, the different classes may have had different colored
lights, but I can't remember that detail.

The lights Chuck is talking about are simply used to identify a specific car
so the members of the team can pick it out from the crowd in the darkness.
The Gulf GT40s used big marker lights from WWII bombers grafted into the
rear corners of the car, for instance.  Grady Davis' GT40 used a pair of
lights on the roof.  In 1966 there were so many GT40s running that they
resorted to lurid paint schemes rather than lights to tell them apart; cars
had their noses painted pink etc.

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"