[DeTomaso] German looking for Pantera

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 01:57:51 EST 2010

> I present the Chevy-powered car only as an example of condition. I don't think the Chevy engine or white-faced gauges add value. But the fact that it can be enjoyed from day one and does not most likely need a mechanical restoration certainly makes it worth considerably more than the WA car.

Agreed, in fact I'd go as a far as saying the Chevy detracts value from the Silver car value and it would be worth more with Ford power. Many prospective owners would be mentally calculating what it's gonna cost to convert back to Ford power and that's at least another $5K, probably more.

It all comes down to what a prospective buyer is looking for; if it's a Chevy powered silver Pantera then that car is a great buy; if it's anything other than that then the aqua car presents a blank canvas whether it be a stock restoration (on what is becoming a pretty rare color) or an all out modified. So the aqua car has potentially more scope for personalization and when it comes to Pantera purchases for many it's doens't just come down to a simple dollars and sense equation, there are some who want to invest the sweat, blood and tears (and $$) into a restoration and those people should be commended IMO.

Another factor here is 'negotiation room' I'd bet the silver owner won't move much on price, whereas the aqua car may be able to be had a price somehwat ower than advertised. i.e.  comparisons of advertised prices are pretty meaningless it's actual sales figures that count.

Julian