[DeTomaso] detomaso tire clearance GT5

richard bosch theemonkey at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 15:37:17 EST 2010

Question,what brake calipers are you using?
You mentioned the need for a 3/8 inch spacer.Stock calipers should clear.I had Wilwood Superlites with 12 inch(i think,might have been 11.75") rotors with 15x12.5 Prime wheels with a 3.5" backspacing,back in the days before i upgraded to 18" wheels.
The smallest outer diameter 345 width street tires were the Yokahama AVS Intermediates at 24.5".Thats what mine were when i measured them during my research to swap to 18 inch rims.
You can get a 23.5 inch diameter tire i believe(they used to,dont know if its still available) from Avon,but it is not a "street" tire.
I believe that the flare is not placed correctly.If you choose to move the flare i would position them to accept a larger diameter tire used on more common 17 or 18 inch wheels.They have a 26 inch diameter tire(example 335/30/18).
15 inch tires are very hard to get and will only get rarer and more expensive as time goes on.Another bonus is speedo accuracy and mpg will be higher.My speedo was dead on according to one of those unmanned radar pole displays.It is one of the more accurate ones as i have gone by in other cars to check in the past.
I am using Toyo r888 in 295/30/18 front and 335/30/18 rear on Kinesis wheels.18x10 and 18x13.I dont remember the backspacing but i can measure if requested.There are a few pics in the Poca website album under my name(Richard Boschert) if you want to look at fit.I will add some more pics,including the old Prime 15 inch wheels,at some point as time permits.
Hope this helps,Richard