[DeTomaso] NPC - Corporate taxes

JJD1010 at aol.com JJD1010 at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 22:31:52 EST 2010

"One of you wrote me off list to the effect that if we would just  remove
all corporate taxes, they wouldn't be motivated to move  offshore."

There's a lot more than taxes as to why companies move jobs offshore,  not
the least of which is that the stock market rewards companies for doing  it,
rightly or wrongly. And that means the CEO and top management get even
bigger rewards since their paychecks are greatly influenced by the market value
 of the company. So who wouldn't offshore when it can have big effects  on
your paycheck, even if you know it is not the right thing to do. The market
punishes you for doing the "right" thing, ie, treating your employees as
stakeholders.

I find it interesting that in Germany, labor is a formal stakeholder  in
the corporate entity and is represented on the Board of Directors. Here there
is a lot talk of treating employees as stakeholders, but in reality, most
companies treat them as nothing more than assets, and assets cost  money.
This is how the stock market views them as well. Assets are mostly  always
purchased based on the best ROI so it is no wonder a job are offshored.  It's a
simple accounting issue, it should be offshored.

BTW I'm not real sure that Taxes are being considered properly in this
discussion. One of the main reasons companies move functions overseas is to
get an incremental cost advantage. Taxes are just one part of the cost of
doing  business along with compliance costs and taxes, real labor costs,
expertise, doing business close to the purchaser, production costs, raw
materials, etc, etc.

And it's not called offshoring anymore, it's called best shoring,  anywhere
for a small incremental cost advantage.

Jeff
6559

PS. Henry Ford paid his employees good wages because he knew they were
potential customers. It will be interesting (especially for you Ayn Randers
out there) to see if or when it might be in a company's self interest to start
 treating employees as stakeholders. It's complicated and globalization
ain't working for us, methinks.