[DeTomaso] anyone with knowledge of fabricating digital electronics with computer controlled peripherals?

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 21:38:43 EDT 2010

Hi all,
If the subject line didn't freak you out maybe you can guide me in the right
direction. After seeing a computer controlled rear wing spoiler that uses
sensors and accelerometers as a basis for control  to increase and decrease
the spoiler wings angle of attack and researching the availability of
certain peripherals like linear actuators, accelerometers Light weight
adjustable spoilers I started thinking about what it would take to make a
simple rear wing spoiler that would be adjustable ( at the simplest level
manually adjustable with a "fly by wire" control ) or at a more complex
level using  there are basic car computer platforms and a variety of
peripherals ,processor boards  and computers made for cars  that are capable
of of plugging right in to the ecu of a modern car or using many of the
available peripherals , both sensors and accelerometers and controls like
linear actuators that can be used to raise and lower the spoiler wing. I
have some computer experience but I have no experience in working with
digital electronics and  writing code for computer controls.
The one active spoiler I found that was the most sophisticated was a split
spoiler that used a number of sensors and  lower the spoiler wing on both
sides or on one side in a turn to rut more down pressure an the outside rear
wheel in a turn. The down side is that it sells for $7000.00. I don't have
any delusions about fabricating anything close to the sophisticated designs
I have seen . I would like to see if this is an area of technology that
anyone on the list is familiar with. If so they could direct me to the area
of study I would need to attempt a simplified design with manual controls.

This is a You Tube showing the split wing spoiler in
action.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7l70Q6P-vU&feature=related

This is another design that is not in production yet.
http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/04/10/motion-activad-gt-wing-system-drift/

Any help or any recommendations on reading material will be appreciated,
Boyd