[DeTomaso] Reduce Weight or Stiffen Chassis?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 25 00:51:56 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/24/10 4:41:03 PM, artstephens at verizon.net writes:

> Filling the holes with metal should theoretically make the car stiffer,
> using the plastic plugs will make it marginally lighter.

The flexy part of the chassis in that area is the spot-welded joint between
the back of the inner fenders and the outer fender, and its in line with
the fwd edge of the inner fender. Under all that tar and up in the drain
channel is a lap joint. In the drain channel on our car, there was a 1/4"
mismatch with no spot welds at all, filled with lead. Weld that full length to the
frame rails and you'll get more stiffness than any gill fill-in. If you
must, fill the whole area with sheet metal, then paint the new sheet metal to
look like stock gills. From 10 ft away, it'll look stock. Good luck- J DeRyke