[DeTomaso] Car Fire

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 13:47:56 EDT 2010

Mike Drew wrote:   Look around your Pantera. Do you see a fire
extinguisher somewhere? If not, you're *wrong*. Fix it!

Exactly...and I'd like to add that I've heard people say they don't want a dry chemical extinguisher messing up the car (as if a fire wouldn't) and then don't carry anything since they haven't got the Halon type unit yet. Ridiculous.  It shows a lack of understanding about the chemicals used.  Some extinguishes use an ammonium phosphate powder that melts and flows to smother fires.  That melted and chrystalized powder

sticks to everything and probably led to the "mess" claims.  Others units use Sodium Bicabonate that does not melt and just covers and smothers the fire.  Clean up is much easier.  They are intended for fuel container or open fuel and energized electrical fires which sounds about right for auto use.  A kill switch cutting voltage to the wiring or fuel pumps would make things much easier.  Also be aware that most 2.5 lb units have about 10 seconds or less of trigger pull time, so use it wisely.  Just read the small print on the cylinder of auto or marine labeled unit to make sure.  I have a few of these around the shop, one in each daily driver and the Panteras have carried a 5 lb Halon unit as well.  Fire can leave a mark...don't ask how I know.

Michael Frazier
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa