[DeTomaso] Car Fire

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 22 23:19:34 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/22/10 20 11 18, cuvee at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Mark/Mike...
>
> So far I haven't checked anything! Got the car home and put away till I
> talk with the Ins.
> The fuel lines aren't that old and look to be in good condition but no
> telling? There was not any fuel on the ground?

If the fuel line was spraying when the fuel was under pressure due to the
engine running, and the fuel that escaped burned up in the fire, and when you
shut off the engine, the fuel pump stopped and thus the fuel wasn't being
pumped out anymore, that would certainly explain the lack of visible fuel
now.

The stock fuel setup used a hard line from the output of the fuel pump to
the inlet of the carburetor, with just a short section of rubber hose at the
carb end to absorb vibration.   I know your car was very stock when you got
it; does it still have this setup?

About the only other explanation I could come up with would be an oil fire,
caused by a leaking oil filter.   I've heard of that on this forum in the
past, where an oil filter wasn't tightened enough against the block, and
pressurized oil sprayed onto the exhaust and caught fire.   Again, when you shut
the engine off, oil pressure drops to zero.

Put on your detective hat and let us know what you find out.   And again,
congrats for being properly equipped to deal with the situation and keeping
your cool when disaster struck!   Two thumbs up!

Mike

P.S.   Everybody else.   Look around your Pantera.   Do you see a fire
extinguisher somewhere?   If not, you're *wrong*.   Fix it!