[DeTomaso] Car Fire

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 22 22:51:54 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/22/10 19 38 42, cuvee at sbcglobal.net writes:

> To All...
>
> Well today started out to be a good day! Nice Sat. afternoon a little
> breeze blowing not a big deal. Had plans to meet up with a fellow Pantera owner
> for some Pantera time. Headed out about 10 am. So far so good, after about
> 20 mins. I started to smell gas, this ain't good, I need to pull over and
> see whats up, with that thought BOOM the car caught fire inches from the
> back of my head!!! Got the car stopped, (not going very fast) I was able to
> jump out with my fire extinguisher and with the help of a passer by and a
> second extinguisher get the fire out! All before the Fire Dept. showed up! At
> this point not sure what happened? But I can tell you that the bulk head
> doesn't keep the fire out of the passenger compartment for very long! All
> this took place in what seemed to be about 20/30 sec.?
> I'm sure it will be repaired as good as it was or better in time.
>
> So, all of you traveling to Reno in a couple of weeks, PLEASE take some
> time and check your car for your safety!!!
>
> I thank the Lord for keeping me safe today, It sure could have been
> worse!
>
> Once again, check your car for your safety.

Thanks Curt--I'm glad this turned out as well as it did, it could have been
a total disaster.

When was the last time you changed your fuel lines?   If your lines were
original, that would certainly explain what happened.   This serves as an
object lesson to everyone.   Modern fuels are extremely corrosive and
destructive to fuel lines.   If you don't remember the last time you changed yours,
then you need to change yours NOW!

Again, I'm so glad you were okay!   Will there be time for you to get the
car going again before Reno?