[DeTomaso] Cam selection

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Sat May 22 01:18:38 EDT 2010

Dan has me in the queue for a run,
 but in the meantime I've been running CompCams CamQuest simulator.
I doubt that the absolute numbers are good, but it should be good for
comparison.
Using this for input
= 0.030 overbore & stock crank
= 10.8:1  & 94 Octane
= 4V-CC heads, ported, polished and matched, but no port-stuffers.
= flat tappet & hydraulic lifters
= Hall big bores & ANSAs which I intend to core out
= Performer 2665 intake which I plan to replace with an AirGap
= 800cfm Thunder (I also have a 600 Performer but the 800 seemed fine)
= MSD 6AL
The "best" choice was 275DEH
                         Dur at 0.050  Dur.  Ramp    Lift
        HP  RPM  FTP RPM   I   E   I   E  I  E  I     E     Spring#
 275DEH 517 5500 468 3700 219 232 275 285 56 53 0.515 0.541   293

It was attractive because of the slow ramp and low spring requirement
Having a wiped lobe and short lifter kind of sensitizes you to those things.

dave