[DeTomaso] machine ball joint to modify alingment

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 20 11:27:33 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/20/10 8 22 49, steveblum2 at msn.com writes:

> I recently found what I suspect is a problem with the front end. Aparently
> when I had the suspension bushings changed the new ones were installed
> wrong causing an alignment problem. My question is, how much of a project is
> it to disassemble the front end, correct the busing and reassemble the front
> end? Is this a job only for an experienced mechanic or someone with
> mechanical skills but limited experience can handle? What special tools are
> required?

I'm assuming you're talking about offset poly suspension bushings, as
opposed to stock ones?   It's a simple nuts-and-bolts job to unbolt the A-arms
(access to the rear bolt on the upper A-arm is a bit difficult, it's done
through an access hole in the front of the footbox), and the poly bushings
should just slide right out.   You should be able to unbolt the A-arms, swap the
bushings around, and put them back in without having to actually remove them
from the car.

You'll just need 19mm wrenches, sockets, and it would be helpful if you had
a long extension for the one in the footbox.   You may need some
channel-lock pliers to pull the bushings out if they weren't lubricated correctly.