[DeTomaso] Ford Help!!

panteratime at aol.com panteratime at aol.com
Tue May 18 22:31:48 EDT 2010

Folks,
My buddy has had this problem with his 1965 Mustang for quite awhile and is at his wits end.  I mentioned our forum to him and told him these Pantera are very knowledgeable and would likely comment on a non Pantera posting.  Any feedback on his "fume" problem would be appreciated.  Thanks --here is his email below.

65 Mustang, 289, originally a 2 bbl carb, but has had an Edlebrock Performer manifold with a 600 cfm Holley double-pumper on it for years.  I don't know if the engine is internally stock, but I suspect it is.

The problem is heavy fumes coming out of the breather cap.  It's been an ongoing problem for a long time and I suspected worn valve guides, worn rings or at worst a scored cylinder wall.  Finally, a couple of weeks ago I did a compression test. On a warm engine with the carb wide open, all cylinders had 145 - 160 psi except for #4 which was 170.  Squirting oil in the cylinders raised those figures by 10 - 12 pounds.  Next I did a vacuum test, plugging the gauge into the PVC port on the carb.  At idle with a warm engine, the vacuum was a rock steady 18".  When I rev'ed the engine, the vacuum dropped way down, then went way up and settled quickly back at 18.
 The PVC valve is clean and the suction on it is good.  The hose to the carb is new and not clogged.  If I pull the pvc out of the valve cover with the engine running, light colored fumes come out of that and the breather cap.  There is always a film of oil all over the drivers side of the engine bay.  It was suggested that new valve covers with a taller profile and baffles might be the answer, but changing them did now solve the problem.'

My thoughts...I'm wondering if the oil is filling the valve covers because it's not draining back into the crankcase quickly.  Could the rapid movement of the rockers be causing the oil to foam causing the fumes?  Earlier this year I considered just getting Edlebrock E-Street heads for the car to replace the stock heads.  I may still do that.

-Steve-