[DeTomaso] What's a good price for a cleveland motor?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 18 14:04:44 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/18/10 7:54:26 AM, clarkwgriswold2nd at gmail.com writes:

> I have noticed lately several Cleveland's in the 400 dollar range for
> "good cores" or rebuildable motors...as stated by the seller, which you have
> to consider that FWIW...

Re 'rebuildable cores'- consider that a '70 351C engine is now 40 years
old, and if its been sitting in a wrecking yard some or most of its life, one
or more valves will have been held open. So expect small to gigantic rust
pits in some of the exposed cast iron valve seats. Small pits will dress out
but others will need valve-seat inserts. Combine this with the cost of
inspecting, cleaning and rebuilding the heads, adding decent valve springs and
one-piece valves and suddenly you're looking at most of the cost of upgraded
aluminum heads- which have better cooling and more efficient ports. Blocks and
cranks are a different subject and must be rebuildable. The yards only
guarantee no cracks but if the poor thing has had 100,000 miles of abuse and is
already at 0.030-over with paper-thin cylinder walls, you have a heavy shop
decoration IMHO. Buying locally or from a known vendor where you have some
recourse is something to consider- J DeRyke