[DeTomaso] Gas tank woes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 18 02:43:27 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/17/10 11:09:25 AM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> '71.  #1488.   Was the fiberglass mod done after manufacture or at the
> factory?  I am fearing that the fiberglass was wrapped over it on purpose to
> keep the liner from moving.
>
> The gas line at the top of the tank is steel braided, though it is very
> weathered and in need of cleaning or replacing.

That age was within the range of known alloy tanks. The fiberglas was added
in the U.S since it was only our heroic DOT that saw a problem with
aluminum gas tanks. Just check to see if the tank is magnetic or not before we go
too far down that road. As you say, the stuff could have been added for any
number of reasons to a later steel tank, all un-good. That cheap braided hose
has rock-hard 39-year-old rubber hose underneath it, which can crack with a
dirty look. Get it out of there and in the trash ASAP! It is a major fire
hazard! Good luck- J Deryke