[DeTomaso] Rocker installation

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue May 18 02:36:35 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/17/10 11:01:02 AM, hsv at traen.se writes:

> Then I'm on the right track when looking at adjusting the rods, I guess
> that's the only part that is possible to adjust to get that kind of change?
> I was told there are some kind of "hat" to place on top of the valve to
> get a bigger surface for the roller? Anything you recommend or not?

An adjustment of sorts can be done by shortening or lengthening the valve
stems, but that introduces two new problems. First, you don't yet know
whether the stems are too long or too short, so its possible to guess wrong and
make things worse. Scond, if the valve stems are shortened much, it afftects
the spring strength so the spring shims must be changed-or, possibly the
entire spring assembly. And if the tip is too short relative to the spring
retainer, its possible to generate an interference that unlateches the keepers
and drops the valve into the cylinder. Total destruction follows milliseconds
later..
The 'hat' you're speaking of is a hardened valve stem-cap which fits over
the valve stem tips above the retainer and effectively lengthens the stem by
0.060" or so. They are only held in place by frictiion, so any valve float
and they pop right back out. But again, right now you don't know which way to
'adjust' anything. Check first. With your aftermarket heads, valves and
rockers you are essentially redesigning the whole top end of your motor, and
such things take care and massaging to make them work correctly. Your parts
are better than stock but are almost never drop-in replacements. Good luck- J
Deryke