[DeTomaso] Oil pressure help needed

jgkrenton at comcast.net jgkrenton at comcast.net
Sun May 16 23:37:59 EDT 2010

Chris:

You are not going to be a pillar of fire..  Fire is usually a big ball......

Seriously though, There are a number of reasons your car may be running higher than normal pressure.  But most likely the Melling pump came with a "high pressure relief valve spring."  It's not a fatal issue, which is why Melling sells pumps that way.  I ran one in my Pantera/Cleveland for years without any problems.  It's really just a waste of horse power and can be hard on the distributor drive pin (the one that always breaks,,,   is your's double pinned?) and occasionally someone will break the oil pump drive shaft.

But, I suspect you could drive this way for years and never notice it except for the high reading..

Just be glad it's not a Chevy with a paltry 35 pounds at best....

Jeff/2467