[DeTomaso] Gas tank woes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 16 20:33:26 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/16/10 13 46 4, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> What is the mass that is bent over?  Is that the gas tank or insulation.
> It
> is solid and does not bend easily.  I am afraid that if it is the tank, I
> will break open.
>

>>>I've never seen anything like that before.   It appears to be something
which curls around and over the top of your gas tank shield.

The 1971 cars had aluminum gas tanks, which started leaking.   Ford's
solution was to remove the gas tanks and completely wrap them in fiberglass.
Looking to the right of the mounting bracket, in the top right corner of the
photo, I see what appears to be fiberglass wrapping.   However, it seems the
top of your tank is just metal.   Could it be that fiberglass cloth applied
to the tank peeled back and then cured over the top of your shield?

More and better photos might answer that?