[DeTomaso] Gas tank woes

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun May 16 12:39:39 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/16/10 6 41 4, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> That is what I am trying to figure out. I figured if the tank dropped, I
> would be in serious trouble.  Does the shield connect to the tank and is
> it
> possible that the shield would drop but the tank stay still?

The gas tank shield has NO relationship to the gas tank at all.   The tank
rests on a rubber pad which sits atop an outrigger on the chassis.   The
shield is just held in place with a few rivets.   I just cleaned up and
reinstalled my shield the other day, taking advantage of the opportunity while the
engine is out.

So, given that, what *exactly* is your problem?   Has your tank actually
shifted?   Or are you concerned with your shield?

Also, the early cars had a complicated shield that wrapped fully around the
back half of the tank, but left the top of the tank exposed to road debris
thrown up by the tire.   The later cars had a better system, with a shield
that only wraps around the back side of the tank a couple of inches, and a
seperate, easily removed full-height splash shield that protects the entire
back side of the tank.

What kind do you have?