[DeTomaso] Gas tank woes

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Sat May 15 17:01:20 EDT 2010

In my continuing saga to put Hall Big-throat headers on my car and do some
detailing as I go, I got the driver-side header loosely fitted in.  In the
process, I'm taking the undercoating of the aluminum gas tank shield and
that is actually looking pretty polished and nice.  The new headers actually
rest against the tank shield and under further review, I see that the gas
tank as apparently dropped a good inch from where it appears to have
originally been.  The top strap has 3 pins which have separated from the
shield and there is about an inch gap downward between the two.  There are
what seem to be two mounting screws to the corner panel leading edge at the
wheel well that would align to two holes in the shield, if it did not shift.

So, how deep doo doo am I in?  Is this common and can I just drain the tank
and jack it back up?

Island Rob