[DeTomaso] Sad day for a Norwegian Pantera owner

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Sat May 15 09:24:07 EDT 2010

No car content in the first part of the answer, but I tie it in on the
second.  I don't want to get into a creationist vs. evolutionist discussion
but in purely scientific terms, our features are determined by our genes and
there is a disputed 20K-ish that make up your individuality.  Add to it that
you are a splice of two different gene pools and that genes naturally mutate
and over the course of millions of years, you have what we have today.
 Genes do not adapt to environmental changes, but rather when mutations have
a particular advantage, they tend to propagate where genes that have a
disadvantage tend to not propagate. There are exceptions to that in that
some mutations span several genes and although one mutation poses a
disadvantage, another mutation may pose enough of an advantage to override
the disadvantage.  You can't consider changes per generation as significant,
but over the course of many many generations, natural selection does occur.

OK. In car terms. Features are tried by engineers and some actually make it
through the marketing department and become production options.  Others die
in the factory special vehicle departments or are aborted by evil people and
end up discarded in a scrap pile with no remorse.  As these features benefit
the car companies in revenue or safety compliance, the are deemed good and
find there ways into other cars.  For example, the headlight, air
conditioner, power steering, and the cup holder.  Features like exploding
gas tanks on Pintos are eventually killed along with unsuspecting consumers.
So, like evolution, the strongest survive.  Imagine how quickly the Pantera
would have faded from our community if in the mid 70, you could only get it
with the Mustang 2 4 cylinder.  Without some serious bioengineering (i.e.
engine swaps), it would have become a laughing stock.

There is always a connection between cars and science.

Island Rob