[DeTomaso] Rear upper ball joints

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Fri May 14 01:57:14 EDT 2010

NICK,

IMHO, yes. You need short piece of specially sized ID tubing which  will
fit the upper side of the a-arm and just clear the OD of the ball joint.
There is a quite small lip on the a-arm for this tubing to bear against. Then
you need a stout means to press ball joint out of the a-arm and into the
tubing. I have a 12 ton HF hydraulic press and it took some force to  get the
ball joints out. I can loan you the piece of tubing. Let me  know.

When you press the joints into the a-arm you will find that there  is no
flat surface on the lower side a-arm which completely surrounds the ball
joint. A part of the surface you would like to have flat has been cut away to
make room for the ball joint during suspension travel. This caused my ball
joints to go in at a very slight angle. Final pressing to straighten the
seating  of the ball joint was done in a big vise.

That's what I think I learned when I did my upper rear ball  joints.

BTW, the ball joint tool on Panterplace is for separating  front ball
joints.

Have fun,

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 5/13/2010 7:43:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,