[DeTomaso] bump steer help

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed May 12 16:13:54 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/12/10 11:55:37 AM, garth_rodericks at yahoo.com writes:

> I need to do this myself. Is one method better than the other? Are there
> advantages or disadvantages to either?

It's really your call. As I said, the rack-shim method is cheaper but also
changes the Pantera's designed-in Ackermann toe-gain in turns. And unless
you cut or grind 5/16" off both ends of both the rack mounts to compensate for
the shims you'll be adding, you need longer gr-5 or -8 metric thread bolts
to maintain stock thread engagement, and you'll also have to redrill the
frame holes for the Bill Stroppe-designed rack-brace on all U.S. Panteras. The
heim-joints and studs in the steering arms do not change Ackermann, but no
one actually sells ALL the parts to do the changeover, and heim joints also
tend to pound out over time and are not all greasable. Racers throw them away
after every event, but street guys want stuff to last forever.

Coincidently, a 1/2"-20 SAE thread heim-joint screws right onto a Pantera's
stock metric steering rod! A second part one needs (IMHO) is heim-joint
seals top & bottom to at least keep most of the water and larger chunks of
road-mung out of the heim balls. And of course, the special studs with a Ford
taper on one end and a straight thread on the other. Then you make your own
circular spacers (or crudely, a stack of washers) until the bump-steer goes to
a tolerable level. A little more involved than the rack-shim method, but
all the above parts except the washer stack are for sale cheaply from Speedway
Motors for dirt track racing. Good luck- J DeRyke