[DeTomaso] Adjustable Rear upper a-arms

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 11 02:25:44 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/10/10 23 13 41, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Rarely do I disagree with you, but..... I would counter your argument as
> false economy, you conclude that additional length is required in the upper
> a-arm to improve camber, but for $369 you get a relatively fixed 3/8" with
> the lengthened a-arms. Add in a pair of new upper ball joints at $350 as
> most prudent owners would do at that point and you've just spent what the
> all-in adjustable (and longer) units cost and they don't require the ball
> joint.
>
>>>No prudent owner spends $350 for a pair of balljoints anymore.   You can
buy a full set of 16 suspension bushings, six balljoints and a pair of tie
rod ends for $300 from Maseratisource.   :>)

The upper rear balljoints age reasonably well.   One would hope that they
would have been replaced already, and if that's the case, then they could
easily be reused.   And if they haven't been replaced, then for less than the
cost of a pair of adjustable A-arms, you can get extended A-arms, all new
ball joints, bushings and tie rod ends and redo the entire suspension on the
car. :>)

> >I'm not talking the $1200 Pat Mical mod as discussed recently, but a
> simple outer heim joint a-arm of the type I have on both Pantera's like so...
>
> http://www.poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=20217
>
> IMO this offers far more rear camber flexibility especially for a low
> slung wide body Pantera. Furthermore Byers price requires you exchange in your
> current a-arms, whereas I purchased the above outright and could probably
> get some $$ back on my oem units.
>
>>>Although his website says that, I've had some pass through my hands and
nobody had to exchange them?

There are enough people out there who put $700 adjustable A-arms on their
cars, that stock ones are cheap and readily available. :>)