[DeTomaso] Sway Bar Mounts on A-arms

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 10 18:51:24 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/10/10 7:55:30 AM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

> I have to install the sphere ball ends before tightening the bar mounts.
> Otherwise, I can't get the sphere ball ends lined up.  The best way to
> describe it is the bar at rest wants to be mounted about .250 farther out. Once
> you tighten the bar, it binds.
>
> I'm going to make spacers 0.250" thick to mount the bar at the happy
> place.

Two other suggestions, Will. s. First, take the bar and reverse it end for
end. Most Pantera rear suspensions and frames distort slightly over the
years, and become asymmetric. This may coincidently let the hand-bent swaybar
fit your car better.I've build quite a few tubular swaybars and one or the
other above fixes almost always causes a better fit.
Second option is to clamp the bar in a BIG vise or a hydraulic press, and
very slightly tweek it for a better fit. Whether the hollow bar is
4130-thickwall tube or DOM (drawn-over-mandrel) tubing, it bends fairly easily as long
as its not work-hardened. Carefully study what you need to do to bring the
end(s) closer to the mounts before tweeking it. Good luck- J DeRyke