[DeTomaso] MSD Box failure? ???????

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun May 9 23:58:48 EDT 2010

For what it's worth, I also had a Ford module fail - and strand me.

I'm not sure what it's called, but it was on a 2.3 Turbo.  It's a small
rectangular module that screws onto the side of the distributor.  5.0
Mustangs used a similar module.

At any rate, it was hot, the engine was overheating in Dallas stop/go
traffic.  The car just died.  I had it towed home, and I replaced the
module.  I worked on it for days, but couldn't get it running.  I dropped it
off at a shop, and he changed the module - the new one - and it started
right up.

The new module was apparently cheap overseas junk.

My point is even though OEM parts are surely tested to the nth degree, they
are not immune to failing.

My vote is MSD dist, MSD 6AL, completely disconnect both if you're welding
on the car, and always travel with a cell phone - not just because of the
MSD, but because we're talking about a 30+ year old car.