[DeTomaso] Big caster, big wheels and small problem

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun May 9 21:57:47 EDT 2010

Dear Boyd,

            I was thinking about your recent post where you noted that your
new Johnny Woods modified front upper a arms would permit a maximum of seven
degrees positive caster.

            If you are also running wide front tires, then there can be a
small fitment problem.   On my late ’74 Pantera with five degees positive
caster that uses 17x9 wide front wheels and appropriately wide tires, I
noticed that in a stationary position with the wheels turned there was tight
clearance that I had not noted before.   In that situation, there was only
about  ¼” clearance between the tires inner edge and the front fender at
about 2 o’clock on the right tire.   It was tight and it was ok, until I
finally was in a low speed parking lot situation and must have hit a bump.
The aftermath showed that the tire must have snagged and twanged the fender
lip.   It flexed the metal enough that the paint was damaged, although the
fender was fine.   A trip to my favorite paint and body man fixed the paint
defect and resulted in some judicious and subtle tweaking of the fender at
that critical spot.

           The point of this is that I think positive caster much beyond
four degrees plus 17x9 wheels and tires will alter the geometry of the front
wheel such that the tire-fender kiss is much more likely.   Take note after
you get everything installed and set up to be sure this little issue.

                                Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles