[DeTomaso] Sway Bar Mounts on A-arms

hemipanter at hemipanter.se hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Sun May 9 06:28:51 EDT 2010

This (as like all questions of this kind)is VERY complicated. It
is not that it is theoretically difficult, but the understanding
why to make it in one way or the other is difficult.

The sway bar is not ideally made, the arms are at an angle to the
torsion bar which makes the bar to act like a transverse leaf spring,
and this phenomenon is getting worse as the bar increases in
diameter, thereby creating unnecessary  loading of mounting brackets.

The bar is also mounted at a large distance from the outer ball
joint which makes for a bad motion ratio, creating a need for a
much heavier bar than otherwise would have been necessary. All this
speaks for the use of less bar and more coilover springrate.

Using another coilover to swaybar balance is not allways bad, we keep
the spring rate independency of sprung wheels for the road driving but
lose some balance adjustability for the track. Well, there is a lot
more to it, but it comes in to play when the crew fully understand
how to work with the car. Tha main issue with the bar is to provide
an easy way of over-understeer balance, depending on track condition,
but this takes that the bar HAS adjustability. I should be more
concerned about making it adjustable then, rather than focus on absolute
rate.

Goran