[DeTomaso] What diameter sucker fan?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 7 22:48:07 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/7/10 1:30:23 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> What is the preferred and/or largest size sucker fan that will fit a
> layed down radiator?
>  Thanks,

25 years ago, I borrowed an anemometer from my workplace and tested our
stock Pantera's pusher fans. The air flow out the back of the core was a max of
300 cubic feet per minute, apiece. This figure is often quoted but it was
only a single parking-lot test. The Flexilite dual sucker fans are advertised
to move 1200 cfm apiece. Coincidently, the Flexilite shrouded dual-fan
assembly fits a Pantera radiator (stock or aftermarket) almost perfectly. If you
measure your radiator, the core is 14" x 26", so two 13" fans are very
close to the maximum size that can easily fit. A shroud around 13" fans didn't
significantly restrict air flow thru the rad at high speeds but smaller
shroud-holes for 11-1/2" fans did on our Pantera- which slowly heated up over a
10 minute run at 140 mph. How fast the fans spin and to some extent the blade
design determines the amount of air that can be moved per rev. A shroud can
definitely help, especially if the blade tips are sunk in only about 1/4-
1/3 the blade-tip width and the blades are not very close to the core. A drop
in voltage from 13v to 11v due to line resistence seems to reduce airflow
by about 25% regardless of how big the fan motor is, according to one web
site. FWIW- J DeRyke