[DeTomaso] Gauge lightbulbs

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri May 7 11:05:13 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/6/10 23 12 44, eanderson at geotracinternational.com
writes:

> Does anyone know the part # and where to source replacements?
>
> Can a brighter bulb of the same size be purchased?

Indeed!   From Bill Taylor's wonderful Gearhead database:

Dash Lights: Replacement for 3W OEM bulbs   5W 'OSRAM' bulb p/n is 2825 W2
1x9,5d  (made in Germany)  VOW, BMW, Porsche

Dash Bulbs: OSRAM 12V/5W PN 2825W2 1X9.5D Mercedes/BMW

5W vice 3W Dash Bulbs: OSRAM 12V/5W PN 2825W2 1X9.5D from Mercedes/BMW

5W vice 3W Dash Bulbs:    Sylvania 2825 (w5w) is the equivalent to
XENON-A7742 from Ford

5W vice 3W Dash Bulbs: XENON-A7742 or E89Z-13B765-A from Ford

5 Watt Peanut Gauge Light Bulb is BMW   PN#   07119978373

====

Locally, I found Sylvania 2825LL (long life) was the easiest to find.   I
also found that the minor gauges have different lighting requirements, and
when I replaced all the stock lights with the brighter ones, that one of them
(I forget which) was too bright, so I put the stock 3W bulb back into that
one to 'trim' it.   Now all my gauges read the same.

Although the Space City guys have successfully incorporated mutiple
additional lighting sockets into their speedos/tachs to brighten them up, I find a
5W bulb in the stock location is perfect for me.   You don't want your
interior lighting to be too bright at night, as it interferes with your night
vision.   That's why De Tomaso included a dimmer feature.