[DeTomaso] oil grade type?

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Tue May 4 00:55:40 EDT 2010

How do you use the car?
If those 200 miles are all on the track, you might want to ask your racing buddies

If you drive on the street like I do I recommend gas/diesel oil such as Shell Rotella T 15W-40, (or Delo or Delvac of the same weight).  Diesel oils are allowed to have much more ZDDP.  I recently bought a bunch of Walmart SuperTech 15W-40 because it is still available in the SL rating, which has more ZDDP than the more recent SM rating.  At bobistheoilguy.com I was advised that this would be a great choice for a Cleveland driven on the street.

For my Ferrari I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 because it has better flow characteristics at startup.  For a car that is driven 200 miles a year on the street either would be fine.

I change the oil every 2 yrs in both cars because I drive them little, like you do, and the oil always looks like it did when it was new when I drain it.

The important thing is to drive the car once a month and to get the oil up to full operating temp each time to burn off any water molecules that have gotten into it.

Be careful of Mobil 1.  For years the 15W-50 "red top" was used by racers with great success.  Then they changed it to an "EP" formula with a silver top and multiple race engines were destroyed.  I haven't trusted Mobil since.  Their main concern it making money, not great oil.

You should know that in the US the definition of "synthetic" is different than in Europe. In Europe it means the oil is created entirely from similar molecules. In the US the companies are allowed to call it synthetic if they manipulate the molecules in certain ways. It is only slightly better than the "nonsynthetic" oil next to it on the shelf but sells for more.

Jim Oddie