[DeTomaso] Flying a P-51 Mustang - NPC

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Mon May 3 19:03:25 EDT 2010

One of my favorite air show is the Reno Air Races. I am heading there
again this year. When you walk in you feel like you have gone directly to
a 1970 large scale event. Seeing airplanes of all sizes go out are really
neat but seeing the unlimited class go all out makes auto racing look like
go carts. Airplanes going over 500mph low enough they some times turn up
the dirt.

When you get there the stands, vendors are set up with large banners and
like I said it feels like 1970. Get a pit pass and you can walk right up
to each group working on their planes.

I don't think this event will last fore ever. These are privately owned
planes costing millions to own and thousands of $ per hour to operate
racing for prize money which doesn't come close to paying for them to come
there.

I went there a couple years ago and there were 3 fatalities; one including
a jet which got caught in another jets vortexes in jet racing which
crashed on the front stretch. It is something the loudmouths in the
community are always fighting. It's noisy, dangerous, intrusive, etc. I
don't think this event will last forever.

An event difficult to describe...

http://www.rc-tech.net/rn/reno1.jpg

http://www.airrace.org/indexJS.php

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=reno%20air%20racing&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi