[DeTomaso] Flying a P-51 Mustang - NPC

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Mon May 3 13:27:26 EDT 2010

I was fortunate over the past few years (OK, 20 years) to meet several of
the "famous" WWII fliers,
the last living crew members  of the Memphis Belle, Lt. Col. Paul Tibbets
and Francis "Gabby" Grabreski ( What a trip he was) to name those that stand
out.
I have walked through a B-17, B-24 and B-25 on other occasions as well as to
see/hear/feel a
P-51, P-47,a Spitfire, a Corsair and one of the last three flying Hellcats (
Talk about noise... OMG!!!)  Never had a chance to fly on any of them and
have always wanted to do so.

What struck me most about all those guys was how gentle and reserved they
all were ( except the little guy, the belly gunner on the Memphis Belle (who
was still able to wear his original A-2 jacket), he was a fireplug and ready
to fight in his 70's, just like he was played by actor Sean Astin in the
movie "Memphis Belle").  None were boastful or Hot Dogs or acted like the
Heroes they were.  Truly the Greatest generation - just like the book said.

Michael Shortt