[DeTomaso] Shock update-help

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 2 15:15:11 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/1/10 4:13:14 PM, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> Do I need to tread the collar up at least 1/2 inch or so?  seems like its
> sitting on minimul thread now. I assume I should have threaded the collar
> up when shock was out of car?

There's a shock spanner available for most shocks that allows one to move
the threaded collar but its far easier if the tire is jacked up off the
pavement. Due to the shock angle, you're actually distorting the tire when you
height-adjust, which takes extra effort. For some shocks, there's also a
needle-bearing washer system available to help ease the collar turning. If you
have the spanner and it runs into things, try unbolting one end, adding
several turns and seeing what the effect is.

At some point you'll be able to get the spanner in there and adjust. Keep
track of the number of threads showing either up top or on the bottom-
wherever it's convenent to see. Just positioning the fender edge relative to the
tire tread usually won't balance things very well, except maybe cosmetically.
This is how you weight-balance the car for handling, but it requires a set
of scales under each tire to really get the effect. Good luck- J Deryke