[DeTomaso] machine ball joint to modify alignment

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Sun May 2 15:00:43 EDT 2010

2010-05-02 20:34, MikeLDrew at aol.com skrev:

> In a message dated 5/2/10 8:49:15 AM, guson at home.se writes:
>

>> What's the point of moving the joint .01"? This equals a caster change of
>> less than .1 degree. Thomas Tornblom was considering moving hos joint
>> .75".
>> That's about 3.5 degrees of caster change.
>>

> It's not .010", it's .100".

The mail Tomas replied to had this paragraph:
---
I have heard various amounts that can be safely milled off of the balljoint
before breaking through to the ball, most of those quoted values are around
one hundredth of an inch. It might be wise to practice and determining the
safe limit on your old joint prior to milling the new one.
---

Sounds like 0.01" to me :-)

> .750" is 3/4 of an inch which is huge.   No way you can do that.

Not by milling the ball joint, but by modifying the upper A-arm.

This appears to be the amount of adjustment Johnny Woods adds to the
A-arm when he modifies them.

> Mike

Thomas