[DeTomaso] machine ball joint to modify alingment

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 2 14:41:26 EDT 2010

 In late '07, I did a series of newsletter articles on altering the
Pantera's front & rear suspension geometry. Coleman Racing sells Chrysler-type
take-apart ball joint bodys with varying length studs attached. Varying the
length of the stud positions the a-arm they're mounted to at different heights
above the upright, thus changing the a-arm angle and the car's suspension
geometry. Chrysler's stud-taper is identical to Ford's taper so our front &
rear uprights need not be altered at all.

There was also the newsletter article in April '08 on adapting these
aftermarket Chrysler-type ball joints to the Pantera. These ball joints are widely
used in dirt racing cars and most bolt-on hot-rod suspensions, & can be
added with little machining to 6 of a Pantera's 8 a-arms: the Pantera's lower
rears don't use a ball joint. They have threaded bodies and screw into a-arm
recepticles. This means they can be changed at a track without a press very
quickly. Rather than tap the Pantera a-arms (rear) or the modified carriers
(fronts), I shaved the threads off the Chrysler-type bodies and pressed them
into modified Pantera balljoint carriers, locking them with one stock mount
bolt for added security.   The huge tap would have been expensive, and
welding premade threaded recepticles to the a-arms would be a bit permenent.

Later, I milled out aluminum front ball-joint carriers to lighten things
up. Our Pantera handles quite well with these ball joints- in place since
mid-'08- with one 1000 mile road trip to Las Vegas on them as well as laps at
Pahrump racetrack..... They can be reverted back to stock easily, & were cheap
to boot. Cheers- J DeRyke