[DeTomaso] tire balance question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 1 13:56:48 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/28/10 17 55 3, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> Can you tell me the correct spot for tire balance weights on stock rims?
> I am going to a local tire shop and would like to let the "kid" know where
> to place the flat weights.  I have 10" in rears and 7"up front.
> They curently have weights but I am not sure whoever did high speed
> balance last placed weight in correct spot on rim.  Do they go closest to the
> center of rim? outer edge or inner?

They should go on the inside of the rim, as close to the center as
possible.   Some machines are sophisticated enough to tell the tech to place them
closer to the edge, but most aren't.   Don't let them put weights on the
outside where they are visible--yech!

Make sure they clean the wheel very well so the weights stick on.   I also
like to use a paint marker to draw around the outside of the weights; that
way, if the weights should happen to fall off (or partially fall off), the
remaining paint square tells the tale.

Racers will often cover up the weights with a piece of racer's tape
(colored duct tape) for added insurance.