[DeTomaso] Door handle buckets (was Door handles)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 20:07:06 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/31/10 17 03 4, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> I have cracked bucket on the passenger side door handle.  I recall a
> while
> back somebody asked about aftermarket replacements, and the thread was
> that
> most of the aftermarket units are not curved to follow the curve of the
> door
> panel.  I need to fis the lock on the passenger's side anyway, so does
> anyone know of a proper fitting replacement bucker short of an NOS/used
> stock one?

The aluminum ones from Hall/Byars are flat, and don't fit as a result.   I
believe the plastic ones from PI Motorsports are properly shaped.   They are
both rather expensive.

The buckets (and the metal handles) break because people try to open the
doors by pulling on the metal handle.   That is an *unlatching* tab only.
Once the door pops open a bit, you open it fully by curling your fingers
around the trailing edge sheetmetal and pulling it open.

I've seen a Pantera where a dingaling passenger busted a door handle to
bits *and* bent the sheetmetal on the door skin (!) because the door was
locked--so she just pulled harder!!!