[DeTomaso] My Rattle Found?    Re:  What I have for Shocks

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 00:21:22 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/29/10 20 17 47, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

>     I think that even if you can collapse the shock, it should extend
> under the gas pressure as soon as you release it.
>

>>>There's no gas in a normal shock absorber--except for gas shocks, which
stock shocks aren't.   Normal shocks are strictly hydraulic--filled with
oil.   Come to think of it, gas shocks only use the gas to prevent the oil from
aerating; they function in the same manner.   Air shocks are probably what
you're thinking of--they use a combination of air and oil, with the air
acting like a spring (which would cause the shock to extend on its own without
any external force acting on it).

The job of the shock absorber is just as it sounds--it's a damping device
designed to counter the effects of the spring.   When you hit a bump,
initially it slows down the compression of the spring--in that instance, the shock
and the spring are working together to support the weight of the car.

In extension, it's working to slow down the extension of the spring--in
that instance, the shock and the   spring are working against each other.
It's all done with hydraulics.   Normally, the force required to extend the
shock is much greater than that required to compress it.

Here, check this out--a basic how-it-works page:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension2.htm