[DeTomaso] My Rattle Found?    Re:  What I have for Shocks

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 23:31:39 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/29/10 20 12 50, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Tonight's adventure:
>
> {snip} I decided to remove the right front shock instead.
>
> The Photo montage is here:
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&
> view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=3357
>
> It's short and sweet.  You'll note the freshly painted a-arms show
> evidence of interference.  You'll note the bottom of the shock eye,
> shows signs of interference.  You'll note the centers of the bushings
> are... off center.
>
>>>Not nearly as much as I would expect, though.
>
> >One other item.  I'm used to gas charged shocks so this next bit might
> be fine, but I have a feeling not.
>
> With the shock removed from the spring, I was able to collapse the shock
> with nothing more than brute strength (what little I have of it) with no
> real assists.  However, I darn near couldn't get the thing -extended-
> again.  Is that normal behavior?

> >Alrighty then.  A gracious member of the list has put a couple of front
> shocks in a box and sent them to me for arrival hopefully by Wednesday.
> They are nearly new and I'm told they have good bushings, so I'm excited
> to try them out.  If they cure my rattle woes... I'll look into
> purchasing them until I can get a brand new set myself, which I may not
> need to do once I have these.  Oh, but there are the rear ones too.
> Egad, if they are as bad as these.......
>
>>>Might as well change all four so they are the same vintage.
>
> >So what are my options with the Telecar shocks?  Do I put them into the
> boat anchor pile or can something be done with them?
>
>>>You can compare the shock action of the 'new' ones you're getting with
your existing ones.   If they're the same, then chances are your shocks are
still good.

As goofy as it sounds, your shock bushings are only hammered on one side.
All the forces take place in a single direction, and the center of the
bushing is displaced as a result.   You could simply press the bushings out,
rotate them 180 degrees and press them back in, and be good-to-go in the short
term--which might mean another 10-15 years! :>)