[DeTomaso] EFI fuel line attachment through the gas tank drain plug suggestions?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 00:43:59 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/27/10 12:05:55 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> The tank is out, I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done
> this.

First, early or late tank? If its an early tank, you can use a late fuel
tank sender, attach an in-tank Ford fuel pump to the end, and use the late
sender's out-line for your EFI feed. Then you use the early tank's normal
welded out-line for your EFI return. No in-line pump noise and no dangling
Christmas-tree of fittings to snag road debris and tear the tank bottom out. This
happened in Art Steven's recent crash, incidently. He was doubly lucky the
resulting fire was quickly extinguished by rescuers.

With a late tank, some other type of fuel return attachment must be
fabricated. Some successfully use a bulkhead 90 degree fitting thru the side of the
big fuel filler fitting.

Needless to say, I do not like an inelegant fitting stack hanging from the
fragile tank bottom. If you must, Forest Goodheart says a 1/2" pipe die will
thread into the tank' drain bottom, rethreading it for a U.S. fuel fitting-
hopefully a pipe-to-AN. Also remember, most engine fires these days come
from modified fuel systems done inexpertly. Good luck- J DeRyke