[DeTomaso] "Houston, we have a problem"

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 00:26:48 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/27/10 11:56:22 AM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> This is a known Pantera failure mode. Repair by welding the two pieces?
> Repair by replacing with a new pedal.

Chuck, I've TIG-welded a number of the aluminum pedals back together
without any returning, and the key seems to NOT carefully dress the weld so all
evidence of repair disappers. Instead,   leave the weld thicker- at least on
the backside- to take whatever overstress broke the thing in the first place.
In any event, a welded pedal seems as strong -and maybe stronger- than a
NOS pedal.

> Replace the throttle cable at the same time?? I understand that the
> throttle cable replacement is a PITA job.  Is the pedal removal/repair equally
> difficult?

The pedal is a two-bolt removal job, once the floor mats are removed. The
hardest part is disconnecting the cable from the upper part. Piece of cake.
The throttle cable however requires the console to be removed 'cause the
cable jacket is clamped down in several places. Don't try taking the easy way
out and just replace the cable. Like a speedo cable, the throttle cable and
jacket should be replaced as an assembly or there will likely be future
problems.... Good luck- J DeRyke